2017 Call for Resolutions
CALL FOR RESOLUTIONS FROM THE MEMBERSHIP
SSSP resolutions constitute an important opportunity for our scholar-activist membership to declare their sentiments publicly, thereby creating a channel for greater visibility and more direct influence upon a variety of “publics,” i.e., fellow activists, scholars, students, decision-makers, social action groups, voters, and others. Thus, as Vice President this year, I am calling on the membership to submit resolutions for discussion, debate, and in some cases, passage. Keep in mind, that proposed resolutions serve as useful discussion points for SSSP members, helping to increase and enhance communication and activities during the long period between annual meetings. To submit a resolution, simply forward your resolution to the Vice President by June 1, 2017. The Vice President will distribute the resolutions to the Committee on Social Action and the Executive Officer who are requested to comment by June 15, 2017. The Vice President will then forward the resolutions to the Division Chairs for their review and then the Vice President and Executive Officer will distribute the resolutions to the membership no later than July 1, 2017 in order to give members ample time to read and give serious consideration to all resolutions. The only exception to the deadline is if the issue in question occurs after June 1st. Proposed resolutions will be available for review prior to the Annual Meeting via posting on the SSSP website in the “members-only” area and under “Annual Meeting,” and as an e-mail blast sent to members who want to receive announcements from the Administrative Office.
Resolutions submitted should contain a concise position statement concerning a social problem of urgent concern. In most cases, the resolution should include some sort of call for viable action on the part of the SSSP. This typically has involved a letter from the Board directed to some public entity expressing concern, support, or protest. Feel free, however, to propose other forms of appropriate action. If the resolution is in support of or in opposition to a piece of legislation, a copy of the legislation or a place where members can access it must be provided. Please click on the following link for examples, including the format we would like you to use: http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/pageid/1993/.
It is the Vice President’s responsibility to serve as the facilitator for resolutions being sponsored by the Divisions as well as from individual Society members, making the resolutions available to the membership prior to and at the Annual Business Meeting. In Montreal, the resolutions process will be organized in a manner that promotes wider discussion prior to formal consideration at the 2017 Annual Business Meeting. The process is as follows:
- On the first day of the meetings, an open forum will be held, designed to encourage a political discussion by concerned members. At this meeting, each proposed resolution should be presented for membership discussion by the person who created the resolution (or designated representative) and the sponsoring Division’s Chairperson and adequate time for discussion will be properly allotted. To facilitate this process, all proposed resolutions, as noted above, must be made available to the Vice President by June 1, such that the membership has ample time to consider resolutions and can be provided a print copy with their registration packet.
- Modifications and revisions will be considered during the open discussion forum on the first day of the meetings; the open forum will be held in place of the annual meeting of the Resolutions Committee. Sponsors of resolutions or a surrogate must be present at this forum to present and respond to questions concerning their resolution. It is imperative that someone be present who can speak to the substance of the proposed resolution, as changes may be made to the resolution during that meeting.
- During the 2017 Annual Business Meeting, the resolutions will be presented (including any modifications or revisions) by the Vice President as a package for approval for action by the attending membership. The membership will vote on proposed resolutions that were discussed and revised on the first day of the meeting. Experience shows that the Annual Business Meeting fails to provide sufficient time for a detailed discussion of resolutions. If objections from the floor are raised to any specific resolution at the SSSP Business Meeting, that resolution can, by majority vote of those present, be separated from the package, and voted on separately. Those present can either vote to support the resolution as proposed or decide to table the resolution for further discussion at the subsequent year’s annual meeting.
- If the resolution requires letters or e-mails to be sent, the sponsor of the resolution must provide the addresses to the Administrative Office and, if necessary, be prepared to assist the Administrative Office in getting the resolution to the appropriate individuals or agencies. Furthermore, sponsors are responsible for keeping the Society informed of developments pertaining to the resolution they sponsored.
- We will attempt to make approved resolutions immediately available to the press. In addition, all approved resolutions will be posted on the SSSP website.
Members who wish to propose resolutions for consideration of the SSSP, should submit them to the SSSP Vice President at by June 1, 2017. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Valerie Leiter, SSSP Vice President, 2016-2017
SUGGESTIONS FOR THE SUBMISSION OF PROPOSED RESOLUTIONS
Here are some suggestions that may help enhance resolutions submitted for consideration by the Society: