Latest SSSP News
Two Feature Films: The Pushouts: A Film on the Crisis in Education for Marginalized Students of Color AND Voices of Baltimore: Life Under Segregation
The Program Committee is proud to feature two film screenings at our upcoming conference, https://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/738/Film_Exhibit/.
The Pushouts, a one-hour film to be viewed Friday, August 10, at 4:30pm, interrogates crucial questions of race, class, and power in the education system examining the work Sociologist Victor Rios conducted with a group of youths from Watts (Los Angeles) who were kicked out of school. The film attempts to create a conversation about racial inequality in education by exposing the day-to-day experiences of marginalized young people providing key insights as to how we might change this system. To view the trailer, please go to: https://www.thepushouts.com/.
Voices of Baltimore: Life Under Segregation, a one-hour film to be presented Saturday, August 11, at 2:30pm, chronicles the lived experiences of African Americans who thrived academically, in spite of Jim Crow. Accordingly, it documents the lives of individuals who attended segregated schools and experienced the desegregation of schools as a result of the historic 1954 Brown v. Board of Education ruling. Following the film, there will be a panel discussion with the film participants. To view the trailer, please go to: https://youtu.be/LET3_dWQK1Y.
- Jan 2018
- Feb 2018
- Mar 2018
- Apr 2018
- May 2018
- Jun 2018
- Jul 2018
- Aug 2018
- Sep 2018
- Oct 2018
- The Call for Papers for the SSSP 2019 Annual Meeting is now live!
- 2018 Annual Meeting Thank you!
- Renew your SSSP Membership
- Nominations for the Lee Founders Award
- Share Your Accomplishments
- Nominations for the 2018 C. Wright Mills Award
- SSSP’s Pursuit of Social Justice
- SSSP Member Testimonials
- 2018 Application for the SSSP Division of Labor Studies “Singing Lecture” Grant Award
- Job Opportunities
- SSSP Departmental Membership Opportunity
- Upcoming Conferences and Calls for Submissions/Posting Opportunities
- Congratulations to the Student Paper Competition Winners
- Congratulations to the Award, Fellowship, and Scholarship Winners
- Congratulations to the Thomas C. Hood Social Action Fundraiser Raffle Winner
- Annual Meeting Thank You
- Optional One-Day Workshops
- Annual Meeting Special Events
- Session #95 highlights the work of Mural Arts Philadelphia, winner of the Thomas C. Hood Social Action Award
- Welcome to Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!