Latest SSSP News
Two Feature Films: The Pushouts: A Film on the Crisis in Education for Marginalized Students of Color AND Voices of Baltimore: Life Under Segregation
The Program Committee is proud to feature two film screenings at our upcoming conference, https://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/738/Film_Exhibit/.
The Pushouts, a one-hour film to be viewed Friday, August 10, at 4:30pm, interrogates crucial questions of race, class, and power in the education system examining the work Sociologist Victor Rios conducted with a group of youths from Watts (Los Angeles) who were kicked out of school. The film attempts to create a conversation about racial inequality in education by exposing the day-to-day experiences of marginalized young people providing key insights as to how we might change this system. To view the trailer, please go to: https://www.thepushouts.com/.
Voices of Baltimore: Life Under Segregation, a one-hour film to be presented Saturday, August 11, at 2:30pm, chronicles the lived experiences of African Americans who thrived academically, in spite of Jim Crow. Accordingly, it documents the lives of individuals who attended segregated schools and experienced the desegregation of schools as a result of the historic 1954 Brown v. Board of Education ruling. Following the film, there will be a panel discussion with the film participants. To view the trailer, please go to: https://youtu.be/LET3_dWQK1Y.
- Vote in the 2019 General Election
- Travel Fund Awards Deadline
- Call for Chapter Proposals for the Agenda for Social Justice Project 2020
- Nominations for the Beth B. Hess Memorial Scholarship and the Thomas C. Hood Social Action Award (deadline 4/1)
- SSSP Departmental Membership Opportunity
- SSSP Membership Brochures
- SSSP Member News – Share Your Accomplishments
- Make your Hotel Reservation for the Annual Meeting
- Job Opportunities
- 2019 General Election Now Open for Voting!
- Global Agenda for Social Justice
- SSSP Student Awards and Scholarships
- Optional Walking Tours at the Annual Meeting
- Register for the Annual Meeting
- Call for Papers Submission Deadline - 1/31/2019
- Racial/Ethnic Minority Graduate Fellowship–Deadline 2/1/19
- Submit a paper for the SSSP 2019 Annual Meeting–Deadline 1/31/19
- Questions You May Have About the SSSP Annual Meeting
- Student Paper Competitions and Outstanding Scholarship Awards
- February issue of Social Problems is now available