Latest SSSP News
Two Feature Films: The Pushouts: A Film on the Crisis in Education for Marginalized Students of Color AND Voices of Baltimore: Life Under Segregation
The Program Committee is proud to feature two film screenings at our upcoming conference, https://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/738/Film_Exhibit/.
The Pushouts, a one-hour film to be viewed Friday, August 10, at 4:30pm, interrogates crucial questions of race, class, and power in the education system examining the work Sociologist Victor Rios conducted with a group of youths from Watts (Los Angeles) who were kicked out of school. The film attempts to create a conversation about racial inequality in education by exposing the day-to-day experiences of marginalized young people providing key insights as to how we might change this system. To view the trailer, please go to: https://www.thepushouts.com/.
Voices of Baltimore: Life Under Segregation, a one-hour film to be presented Saturday, August 11, at 2:30pm, chronicles the lived experiences of African Americans who thrived academically, in spite of Jim Crow. Accordingly, it documents the lives of individuals who attended segregated schools and experienced the desegregation of schools as a result of the historic 1954 Brown v. Board of Education ruling. Following the film, there will be a panel discussion with the film participants. To view the trailer, please go to: https://youtu.be/LET3_dWQK1Y.
- Jan 2018
- Feb 2018
- Mar 2018
- Apr 2018
- May 2018
- Jun 2018
- Jul 2018
- Aug 2018
- Optional One-Day Workshops
- Annual Meeting Special Events
- Session #95 highlights the work of Mural Arts Philadelphia, winner of the Thomas C. Hood Social Action Award
- Welcome to Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
- Annual Meeting Events
- Download the SSSP Mobile App
- Final Program Reminder
- Announcing Release of SSSP Publication – Global Agenda for Social Justice
- 2018 Proposed Resolutions
- August issue of Social Problems is now available
- Book Launch Event: Global Agenda for Social Justice
- Two Feature Films: The Pushouts: A Film on the Crisis in Education for Marginalized Students of Color AND Voices of Baltimore: Life Under Segregation
- Increased Impact Factor announced
- Online Annual Meeting Registration Deadline is July 22
- Deadline for Annual Meeting Preregistration
- Plan Your Philadelphia Trip
- Accessibility Guidelines
- Share Your Accomplishments
- June 26: Annual Meeting Mobile App
- Be a Mentor or Be Mentored—Deadline June 30