Joining SSSP as a new member or renewing your existing membership offers many benefits including access to Social Problems which consistently ranks among the top journals in the social sciences, according to the Institute for Scientific Information (ISI).
Membership Information & Benefits
Anyone who is interested in or already involved in the application of critical, scientific, and humanistic perspectives to the study of vital social problems. SSSP is an interdisciplinary community of scholars, practitioners, advocates, and students. If you are involved in scholarship or action in pursuit of a just society nationally or internationally, join SSSP. Membership is open to all who support SSSP's goals.
All SSSP members receive online access to the current and all previous issues of the journal, Social Problems. Members have the option of receiving hard copies of the journal for the membership year (back issues are not mailed for any issues already distributed). Each member will receive a FREE division membership and student members will receive two FREE division memberships. Members may choose additional divisions at $10 each. Membership in the divisions allows current members to vote in division elections and receive division newsletters. All current members receive a reduced rate to attend our Annual Meetings.
Oxford University Press is proud to partner with the Society for the Study of Social Problems to offer members a 25% discount across their wide range of titles! For more information, click here.
|Want to know more about membership benefits? Click here for additional information.||Are you a graduate student? Click here for more information on student membership.|
For more information, see the Divisions page.
SSSP memberships are based on a calendar year and run January 1 to December 31. Gross annual income should be used to determine the proper dues category. Please read all of the categories and select the one closest to your situation. Dues are payable to SSSP in U.S. currency. We accept checks, money orders, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. Refund Policy: Membership dues are non-refundable.
- Life Members, Emeriti - Professor Emeriti who have been members for twenty or more consecutive years - $0
- Undergraduate/Graduate/Unemployed - for members who are working on their Bachelors, Masters or Ph.D. in any discipline or are currently unemployed - $30
- Retired Member - for members who are retired - $45
- First Time Professional Member - for professionals who have not previously been members of SSSP, we invite you to take advantage of our 1 - year try us out membership - $45
- Professional Membership Categories based on Gross Annual Income:
$24,999 and under - $70
$25,000 - $34,999 - $90
$35,000 - $44,999 - $100
$45,000 - $54,999 - $120
$55,000 - $64,999 - $150
$65,000 - $74,999 - $170
$75,000 - $84,999 - $190
$85,000 - $99,999 - $210
$100,000 and up - $250
- Sustaining Membership - (formerly Life Membership) members enjoy all the benefits of SSSP membership without the annual dues - $1,700
- Departmental Membership - for those social science related departments who wish to receive the journal Social Problems and share 1 vote in business matters of the Society - $85
Mailing Fees for Members Living Outside the United States:
To help keep membership costs at a minimum we ask that members outside the U.S. pay a mailing fee. For SSSP members who reside outside the United States, a mail fee applies in the amount of $20 for members with mailing addresses in Canada and Mexico and $30 all others outside the United States. This fee is waived for members who opt out of receiving paper copies of Social Problems during member registration. Current and past issues of Social Problems is available electronically for members.
You may apply online via our secure website or print the form and mail in your dues. Click the following link to apply online: JOIN SSSP New Memberships and Renewals. Fill out the form, submit and you're done.
- Decide which Divisions you are interested in. Remember: members and departmental memberships get 1 free and student members get 2 free, additional divisions cost $10 each.
- Find your membership category and income category.
- Decide if you wish to contribute to one of the tax deductible funds that help support SSSP members (a list and descriptions are below).
Complete the Membership Application Form and enclose payment.
If you choose to mail in your dues, it is just as easy. Just complete the online application. When you are done, you have the option to print an invoice, which you can mail or fax to the SSSP Administrative Office with your credit card information.
901 McClung Tower
University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996-0490