Why Stay at the SSSP Conference Hotel?
Why should I stay at the SSSP conference hotel during the Annual Meeting?
This question is frequently asked by our members. Please consider these reasons.
- Staying at the conference hotel provides many advantages. The awards ceremony takes place at the conference hotel, as do receptions and most special events. You have the opportunity to renew acquaintances with other members and meet newcomers. Informal gatherings are easy to arrange because the largest proportion of our members stay at the conference hotel.
- In order to secure a low sleeping room rate and to avoid paying high meeting room rental costs, SSSP must guarantee the hotel that our members will occupy a certain number of room nights. To honor our contract, we must utilize 840 sleeping room nights over our meeting dates (hotel reservation deadline: July 16, 2019).
By staying with us, you can help SSSP financially! Let us explain.
- Booking your reservation outside of the SSSP room block via internet travel sites or by not mentioning to the reservationist that you are with SSSP has a long-term negative impact on the meeting. The number of rooms that we can attribute as reserved by SSSP attendees helps us to negotiate lower room rates with hotels. With fewer rooms directly attributable to SSSP, conference rental rates will rise which may impact the rates SSSP can charge for meeting registration. Additionally, hotels have started to place financial penalties on associations for each room not used by attendees. We appreciate you supporting SSSP by booking hotel rooms within our official block.
- In the event that we do not meet our 840 sleeping room guarantee, the hotel will charge the Society an additional fee for using the meeting space in which we hold our sessions.
- The ‘room pick-up’ (actual rooms occupied by SSSP members during the days of our contract) has implications for the final hotel bill. Terms of the contract grant the Society a number of complimentary rooms used to house officers and other volunteers who give their time to the organization. In the event that our ‘room pick-up’ is low, we must pay for these rooms.
- Hotels review our ‘room pick-up’ history when we request a bid for a future annual meeting. A favorable record (meeting or exceeding our room block) assures the hotel of a certain level of income. Hotels make their money by having as close to full occupancy as possible. Saving rooms for conference goers who do not occupy them means that they may have an empty room that could have been sold to someone not attending the conference.
- Members attending the conference should reserve a room for the nights they will attend and honor their reservation. This action helps save the Society money and improves the experience.
Confirmed Room Rates:
Single/Double Occupancy: $229 per night
Triple Occupancy: $269 per night
Quad Occupancy: $309 per night
All rates subject to 14.75% taxes and a $3.50 per room, per night occupancy tax, subject to change.
The cut-off date for the SSSP’s group rate is July 16, 2019. Reservations must be confirmed by this date to guarantee the group room rate. Reservations received after or if the room block is filled prior to that date, are subject to availability and rate increase. For hotel reservation information visit: https://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/753/Hotel_Reservation_Information/.
So . . . please stay with us. We and the Society would appreciate it immensely, and we think you will be glad you did!
Héctor L. Delgado, Executive Officer
Michele Koontz, Administrative Officer & Meeting Manager