Thomas C. Hood Social Action Award
The deadline for nominations for the 2019 Thomas C. Hood Social Action Award is April 1, 2019.
Nominations are open for the 2019 Thomas C. Hood Social Action Award. Members of the Society are urged to nominate organizations for the award.
The Thomas C. Hood Social Action Award, established in 1991, is awarded to a not-for-profit organization in the city/area hosting the annual meeting. The award carries a stipend of $5,000.
The award is a fitting expression of the overall purpose of the Society for the Study of Social Problems, which is concerned with applying scientific methods and theories to the study of social problems. SSSP aims to bring together scholars, practitioners, and advocates to examine and understand social problems in order to further solutions and develop social policy based on knowledge.
When this award was established, SSSP described its purpose as follows:
- The organization selected for this recognition should have a history of challenging social inequalities, promoting social change, and/or working toward the empowerment of marginalized peoples. Its work must demonstrate sensitivity to and respect for cultural diversity.
- Preference is given to small, local agencies in the New York City area rather than large organizations or chapters of nationally-based organizations. The main criterion is the extent to which the organization reaches out to the disadvantaged in the community and uses innovative means for dealing with local social conditions.
Please include the following information when making an online nominationn:
1. Your name, address, phone number, and email address.
2. The name and address of the organization you wish to nominate.
3. The name, address, phone number, and email address of the organizational contact person.
4. Give an overview of the organization’s work.
5. Indicate why you believe that the nominee merits the award.
6. Please submit any supportive materials in electronic form (as attachments) you believe would be helpful to the committee.
Review the list of the past winners of the Thomas C. Hood Social Action Award.
To nominate an organization for the 2019 Thomas C. Hood Social Action Award, click the following link: Thomas C. Hood Social Action Award Nomination Form. All nominations must be submitted online no later than April 1, 2019. The 2019 award will be presented at the 69th Annual Meeting in New York City, NY, August 9-11, 2019.
Please address all questions to:
Dr. Johanna Foster, Chair
Thomas C. Hood Social Action Award Committee