Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Award
The deadline for nominations for the 2021 Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Award is April 15, 2021.
Nominations are now open for the 2021 Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Award. Members of the Society are urged to nominate one or more persons for the award. All nominees must be current SSSP members when applying. The deadline for the 2021 award nominations is April 15, 2021.
The Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Award was established in 2015 and will be awarded annually to an outstanding faculty member who has exercised an extensive leadership role within the SSSP and other professional societies and within the larger community with a stipend of $500. In her 2001 Social Problems article, “Making History: A Personal Narrative of My Presidential Year,” Doris chronicles her activities in the Society during the early 1970s, when SSSP’s programs and members offered her a refuge during a restless period within the American Sociological Association (ASA). She was a participant-observer of the events that occurred when Sociologists for Women in Society and the Association of Black Sociologists were seen as “outsiders within” and sought “meaningful” entry and participation in the ASA. Doris turned her observation into action and became one of the leading voices in bringing change to the society and sociology as a discipline. Her leadership was consistent with the Society’s mission, and the Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Award will be given to a scholar who effectively:
- Addresses social issues of contemporary public importance;
- Brings a deepened public understanding to these issues;
- Advances social understanding of leadership for change within the larger society;
- Proposes courses of action to effect that change.
Review the list of past winners of the Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Award.
All online nominations must be submitted no later than April 15, 2021. The 2021 award will be presented at the 71st Virtual Annual Meeting, August 6-8, 2021.
- Any member of the Society may nominate one or more persons for the award. Members of the Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Award Committee are encouraged to nominate.
- All online nominations must be accompanied by a detailed letter of nomination and supporting evidence sufficiently detailed for the committee to render a decision (e.g., a resume; additional supporting description of the nominee’s work, demonstrating that the contributions meet the criteria for nomination). Please include supporting information not covered in a resume, as well as letters of support from colleagues.
Please address all questions to:
Dr. Beth Williford, Chair
Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Award Committee