Latest SSSP News
Archives - May 2016
May 31, 2016
June 1 is the deadline to register for the SSSP Annual Meeting!
Reminder: June 1 is the deadline for Program Participants to register for the SSSP Annual Meeting! Register here: http://www.sssp1.org/2016_Annual_Meeting_Registration.
05/31/2016, 12:20 PM
May 24, 2016
Sign-up for the 2016 Meeting Mentor Program
Sign-up for the 2016 Meeting Mentor Program, deadline June 30
The Meeting Mentor Program is designed to facilitate interaction between new members or graduate students and meeting veterans at the Annual Meeting. Mentors provide valuable knowledge about the SSSP and Annual Meeting activities as well as insight into their own experiences as scholar activists. To apply as either a mentee or mentor, visit: http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/312/Mentoring_Program/.
05/24/2016, 01:17 PM
May 19, 2016
2016 Annual Meeting Official Travel Provider
Have you booked your flight or made a car reservation yet for the Annual Meeting? Consider using Association Travel Concepts, the official travel provider for the Annual Meeting, to make your travel arrangements! Click here for more details: http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/663/Official_Travel_Provider/. Register for the SSSP Annual Meeting at http://www.sssp1.org/2016_Annual_Meeting_Registration.
05/19/2016, 12:21 PM
May 16, 2016
The 2016 Preliminary Program is Now Available!
The preliminary program for the 66th Annual Meeting of the Society for the Study of Social Problems is now available. Please visit http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/677/Preliminary_Program/ to review the program, make your travel arrangements, and register for the conference. We hope you will be able to join us from August 19-21 at the Westin Seattle Hotel in Seattle, WA.
05/16/2016, 12:50 PM
May 05, 2016
2015 C. Wright Mills Award Finalists
The 2015 C. Wright Mills Award Finalists have been selected.
The committee reviewed 94 nominated books to select the five finalists. The committee will select the winner prior to the Annual Meeting and announce the winner at the Awards Ceremony in Seattle, WA. All finalists’ books will be recognized in the 2016 Annual Conference program and at the ceremony.
To an outstanding degree, each of the finalists met the criteria for the award:
- Critically addresses an issue of contemporary public importance.
- Brings to the topic a fresh, imaginative perspective.
- Advances social scientific understanding of the topic.
- Displays a theoretically informed view and empirical orientation.
- Evinces quality in style of writing.
- Explicitly or implicitly contains implications for courses of action.
To view the list of finalists, visit: http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/676/2015_C_Wright_Mills_Award_Finalists/.
05/05/2016, 11:46 AM
May 03, 2016
Travel Reservations for the Annual Meeting
Have you booked your flight or made a car reservation for the Annual Meeting? Consider using the Association Travel Concepts, the official travel provider for the Annual Meeting, to make your travel arrangements! Click here for more details:http://www.sssp1.org/2016_Official_Travel_Provider/. Online registration is now available until midnight (EDT) on July 15. For more information, visithttp://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/641/2016_Annual_Meeting/.
05/03/2016, 02:33 PM
Jacob S. Rugh, Len Albright, and Douglas S. Massey Received the 2016 John Hope Franklin Prize
The authors Jacob S. Rugh, Len Albright, and Douglas S. Massey received the 2016 John Hope Franklin Prize by the Law and Society Association. It is an annual prize that recognizes an exceptional article in the field of Race, Racism, and the Law. The article is entitled "Race, Space, and Cumulative Disadvantage: A Case Study of the Subprime Lending Collapse," and it appears in our May 2015 Issue of Social Problems at http://socpro.oxfordjournals.org/content/62/2/186.
05/03/2016, 11:46 AM
May 02, 2016
May Issue of Social Problems is Now Available
The May issue of Social Problems is now available on the SSSP website for all members. Please visit our website at www.sssp1.org or follow the members-only link below for complimentary electronic access. All issues from 1953 - current are available. Members are required to login using your e-mail and password. If you have forgotten your password, you may enter your e-mail address below the log-in area and your password will be e-mailed to you. If you have recently changed your e-mail address, you will need to log in using the address SSSP has on file for you. If you have any questions or need assistance, please e-mail Marisa Stone, Administrative Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org. http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/401/Online_Access/
05/02/2016, 12:02 PM
- Jan 2023
- Feb 2023
- Mar 2023
- Apr 2023
- May 2023
- Jun 2023
- Jul 2023
- Aug 2023
- Sep 2023
- Advanced Articles for Social Problems
- Job Opportunities
- Announcing the Next Editors for Social Problems
- Over 70 Scholars Seek Placements
- View 2023 Approved Resolutions
- Latest Virtual Issue: Climate, Disasters, Environment, and Justice
- Congratulations to the Award, Fellowship, and Scholarship Winners
- Congratulations to the 2023 Student Paper Competition Winners
- Congratulations to the Thomas C. Hood Social Action Fundraiser Raffle Winner
- Annual Meeting Thank You!
- Optional One-Day Workshops
- Join us for the SSSP Presidential Address followed by the Awards Ceremony
- Getting the Most Out of Conference Attendance
- Make Plans to Attend the SSSP Business Meeting
- OUP Discount Code
- Getting the Most Out of Conference Attendance
- Annual Meeting Receptions & Special Events
- It’s not too late to join us in Philadelphia!
- Welcome to Philadelphia
- Download the Annual Meeting Mobile App today. It’s easy!