Latest SSSP News
Archives - February 2020
February 25, 2020
Optional One-Day Workshops and Walking Tours at the Annual Meeting
In addition to all of the exciting sessions, panel discussions, and events, we are pleased to offer two optional One-Day Workshops for our attendees. “Community-Based Participatory Action Research” and “Institutional Ethnography,” are the topics that will be covered on Monday, August 10. To learn more visit: https://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/814/Optional_One-Day_Workshops/.
No matter if this is your first time to visit San Francisco or your fifth, the city never ceases to surprise. Discover some of the many things the city has to offer by joining a walking tour. The “SOMA Pilipinas EthnoTour” and the “Calle 24 Latino Cultural District Tour” will both prove to be educational as well as enjoyable. To learn more visit: https://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/815/Optional_Walking_Tours/.
02/25/2020, 08:09 AM
February 20, 2020
February 18, 2020
Honor Black History Month
As we honor Black History Month, we encourage you to look at the Equal Justice Initiative (EJI) website as they explore the evolution of slavery, the legacy of lynching, and confront our racial history through the Community Remembrance Project. EJI has a wealth of additional information that you may also want to share with students. https://eji.org/racial-justice/
02/18/2020, 08:52 AM
February 15, 2020
February 13, 2020
Travel Funds to Attend the Annual Meeting, application deadline March 15
Submit an application for travel funds for the upcoming annual meeting. The Erwin O. Smigel Award Committee announces funds available for unemployed and underemployed sociologists. The Lee Scholar Support Fund Committee announces funds available for non-U.S. based foreign scholars. The Lee Student Support Fund Committee announces funds available for undergraduate and graduate students. The Transnational Initiatives Committee announces funds available for scholars located in the Global South. For more information and to apply for one of our travel fund awards, visit https://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/263/Travel_Fund_Awards/.
02/13/2020, 11:18 AM
February 11, 2020
Make your Hotel Reservation at the Park Central Hotel, cut-off date July 21
Our single/double room rate of $219 (USD) includes complimentary high-speed wireless internet in guest rooms. To make a reservation, call the Park Central Hotel’s toll-free number at 1-888-627-8561 or visit https://book.passkey.com/e/50027348 to book online. Be sure to request The Society for the Study of Social Problems’ room rate when booking to ensure the correct discounted rate is given (based on availability). Reservations made after July 21 or after the room block is filled are subject to availability and rate increase.
You may be asking, “Why should I stay at the SSSP conference hotel during the Annual Meeting? Click here to get answers to this important question.
02/11/2020, 09:51 AM
February 06, 2020
Register for the 2020 Annual Meeting
Registration for the 2020 Annual Meeting is open. Current members of SSSP can register at the lowest rate. To access the online registration form visit: https://www.sssp1.org/2020_Annual_Meeting_Registration.
02/06/2020, 08:45 AM
February 04, 2020
Call for the Next Editor of Social Problems – Extended Deadline – March 1
The application deadline for the next Editor of Social Problems has been extended to March 1. The Editor’s three-year term will begin with the operation of the new editorial office at mid-year 2021. The new editor will be responsible for editing and promoting Volumes 69-71 (years 2021-2024). For a full description of the position and application process visit: https://www.sssp1.org/file/Announcements/Editor_Social_Problems_Extended_Deadline.pdf.
02/04/2020, 02:37 PM
- Optional One-Day Workshops and Walking Tours at the Annual Meeting
- Spread the Word – Request SSSP Membership Brochures
- Honor Black History Month
- 2020 General Election Now Open for Voting!
- Travel Funds to Attend the Annual Meeting, application deadline March 15
- Make your Hotel Reservation at the Park Central Hotel, cut-off date July 21
- Register for the 2020 Annual Meeting
- Call for the Next Editor of Social Problems – Extended Deadline – March 1
- Racial/Ethnic Minority Graduate Fellowship Deadline midnight (EST) on 2/1/20
- Submit a paper for the SSSP 2020 Annual Meeting–Deadline midnight (EST) on 1/31/20
- SSSP believes that all workers deserve the basic right to a union
- Thank You, SSSP 2019 Contributors!
- February issue of Social Problems is now available
- How Non-Academics Can Benefit from SSSP
- SSSP is soliciting applications for Social Problems Editor–Deadline Today
- Student Paper Competitions and Outstanding Scholarship Awards–Upcoming Deadlines
- SSSP is soliciting applications for Social Problems Editor–Deadline 1/15/20
- Racial/Ethnic Minority Graduate Fellowship–Deadline 2/1/20
- Announcing Launch of Social Problems High Impact Article Collection
- Renew Your Membership and Register for the 2020 Annual Meeting