Latest SSSP News
Increased Impact Factor announced
In June 2019, the Web of Science Group, part of Clarivate Analytics, released the update to its annual Journal Citation Reports reflecting data from the 2018 publishing year.
The Journal Citation Reports (Web of Science Group, 2019) are annually compiled to aggregate the meaningful connections of citations created by the research community through the delivery of a rich array of publisher-independent data, metrics and analysis of the world’s high-quality academic journals.
These metrics include the Journal Impact Factor and category rankings. The Journal Citation Reports calculate these metrics based on a variety of criteria, including the number of citations each article receives in other journals. Librarians, researchers, and tenure committees consider Journal Impact Factor rankings among the factors that determine a journal's benefit to and cache within the scholarly community.
The 2018 Journal Impact Factor ranking forSocial Problems placed it among the top 20 journals in all of sociology—with an impact factor of 2.789. The 5-Year impact factor of 3.435 speaks to the enduring quality of the journal and the lasting importance of its content to the field, especially as the number sociology journals continues to grow over time. In celebration of this accomplishment, a collection of highly cited articlesis now freely available.
While these rankings do not provide the entire picture of a journal, including its peer-review process, its history, or value to a niche audience, they do relay a journal’s overall discoverability, relative significance in the field, and timeliness of content—aspects that result from the hard work and foresight of its editorial office, a healthy society membership and reader base, and a diligent publisher able to utilize every means possible to enhance visibility in a digital environment. Social Problems’ ongoing ranking among the highest-cited journals warrants hearty congratulations to the Editors of Social Problems -- past and present -- and their teams, whose efforts have ensured that Social Problems remains one of the most influential outlets in our discipline!
- Submit a Manuscript for Social Problems
- Virtual Panel on Higher Ed Funding and the COVID-19 Crisis
- Protect Education: Fund Aid to State and Local Governments
- What Our Members Say
- The Authors’ Attic
- New Human Rights Page
- A Message from the Founder of the Disability Visibility Project
- Call for Resolutions Deadline – Extended Deadline – May 15
- May issue of Social Problems is now available
- SSSP 2020 Annual Meeting Cancellation
- SSSP: Call for Chapter Proposals – Rapid Response Volume on “Social Problems in the Age of COVID-19”
- Call for Resolutions Deadline – April 30
- Share Your Accomplishments
- The Benefits of SSSP Membership
- Add Another Division
- SSSP Awards with an April 15th Deadline
- Your Donation is Tax Deductible
- Exercise the Right to Vote
- General Election Results
- Dr. William Helmreich, sociologist of US Jewry and inveterate New Yorker, dies of coronavirus