STUDENT PAPER COMPETITON
Extended Deadline: 1/31/23
The Gender Division invites graduate students to submit papers for the 2023 Graduate Student Paper Award Competition. Papers may be empirical and/or theoretical and may be on any aspect of gender, broadly defined. The winner will receive a cash award of $150, a plaque of recognition, student membership in SSSP for 2023, complimentary registration for the 2023 Annual Meeting to help the winner attend the meeting. The winner will be invited to present the winning paper at one of the Gender sessions at the 2023 SSSP Annual Meeting.
To be eligible, a paper must meet the following criteria:
- the applicant must be a graduate student at the time of the SSSP Annual Meeting on August 18-20, 2023;
- the applicant must be the first (lead) author on the paper;
- the paper must not be co-authored with a faculty member or a colleague who is not a student;
- the paper must not have been submitted to or accepted for publication;
- the paper must not have been presented previously at SSSP or presented or accepted for presentation at other professional meetings, unless they have been revised substantially with new data, findings, or theoretical contributions;
- the paper must not exceed 30 pages including notes, references, and tables;
- the paper must be typed using 12-point font in either Times New Roman or a similar sized font;
- student papers may only be submitted to one of the SSSP division award competitions.
All submitting authors are required to submit their papers through the annual meeting Call for Papers process as a condition for consideration for the award. Please submit your paper to be considered for the Gender Division Graduate Student Paper Competition electronically as a Microsoft Word or PDF file to Shannon Carter at firstname.lastname@example.org. Paper submission must be dated via electronic time/date stamp on or before 1/31/23.
OUTSTANDING ARTICLE AWARD
The Gender Division invites members to submit papers for the 2023 Outstanding Article Award. For the 2023 award, the division will consider peer-reviewed articles published between 2021-2023. Papers may be empirical and/or theoretical and may be on any aspect of gender, broadly defined. The winner will receive a cash award of $50 and will be featured in the division newsletter.
To be eligible, the article must meet the follow criteria:
- the article must have been published by a peer-reviewed journal between January 1, 2021 and January 1, 2023;
- the article may be written by students or faculty, solo or co-authored;
- the article may only be submitted to one SSSP division’s Outstanding Scholar competition.
Winners are expected to attend the Gender Division business meeting at the 2023 SSSP Annual Meeting.
Applicants must submit a brief letter explaining how their article advances gender scholarship and a PDF copy their article to Shannon Carter at email@example.com. Submissions must be dated via electronic time/date stamp on or before 1/15/23. Self-nominations are encouraged.