Latest SSSP News
Archives - March 2016
March 29, 2016
Your Donation is Tax Deductible
Did you know that SSSP is a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization? We accept tax deductible contributions to support our general operation and for specific purposes. We always welcome contributions and our goal in 2016 is to grow our mission through contributions of members like you. If you have questions, please do not hot hesitate to contact us!
03/29/2016, 02:34 PM
March 28, 2016
2016 General Election Results
We are pleased to announce the results of the 2016 General Election. Click here to see the election results. Thank you to all of our highly qualified candidates who accepted nominations for this important election, as well as the members who voted. We depend upon strong member participation in all aspects of SSSP’s operations and are especially grateful for those that are able and willing to serve the Society.
03/28/2016, 01:26 PM
March 24, 2016
Nominations for the Thomas C. Hood Social Action Award, due April 1
The Thomas C. Hood Social Action Award is awarded to a not-for-profit organization in the city/area hosting the annual meeting. For more information, visit: www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/262.
03/24/2016, 01:07 PM
March 22, 2016
Meeting Mentor Program
Call for SSSP Mentors/Mentees! The Meeting Mentor Program connects new members and meeting veterans at the Annual Meeting. Being a mentor is fun, doesn’t require much time, and a great way to give back. For new members, having a mentor is an invaluable experience when navigating the conference for the first time. To learn more about the Meeting Mentor Program, visit http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/312/Mentoring_Program/. The application deadline is June 30, 2016.
03/22/2016, 02:58 PM
March 15, 2016
Letter to the Tennessee’s Legislature not to defund the University of Tennessee, Knoxville (UTK)
On behalf of SSSP’s Board of Directors, President David A. Smith and Executive Officer Héctor Delgado wrote to urge the Tennessee’s Legislature not to defund the University of Tennessee, Knoxville (UTK) Office of Diversity and Inclusion. The letter emphasizes how UTK has a responsibility to prepare students to work and live in a world that will require them to be knowledgeable about and sensitive to the dramatic demographic and other changes our society has undergone in the past fifty to seventy years. The Office of Diversity and Inclusion is a vital component of fulfilling this responsibility. To read the letter, visithttp://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/480/Action_and_Activism/.
03/15/2016, 04:17 PM
2016 Travel Fund Awards
Today is the last day to apply for the 2016 Travel Fund Awards. The Lee Scholar Support Fund Committee announces funds available for foreign scholars. The Lee Student Support Fund Committee announces funds available for undergraduate and graduate students. The Erwin O. Smigel Award Committee announces funds available for unemployed and underemployed sociologists. For more information, visit: www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/263/Travel_Fund_Awards/.
03/15/2016, 02:51 PM
March 08, 2016
Kendra Jason, North Carolina State University - "For me SSSP is a society of nurturance and growth, stimulation and action, and value and respect. Unlike other experiences I’ve had as an African American graduate student and young scholar, the members of SSSP immediately welcomed my presence and accepted my voice in the organization. I have grown professionally and broadened my personal goals as a direct result of the encouragement and support from SSSP. I am ever thankful for the formal mentorship program and informal mentors I gained through this organization. Once I joined, I understood why many members had a lifetime commitment to SSSP."
Find her testimonial at http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/pageid/1537/ and visit http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/pageid/925/ to join/renew today!
03/08/2016, 02:12 PM
March 01, 2016
66th Annual Meeting of the Society for the Study of Social Problems
Get ready for the 66th Annual Meeting of the Society for the Study of Social Problems! Online registration will be available later this month. This year’s conference will be held in Seattle, WA from August 19-21. SSSP President Dr. David A. Smith has created an intriguing program theme: Globalizing Social Problems. Be sure to book your reservation at The Westin Seattle Hotel, the SSSP conference hotel, right away!
For more information go to: http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/641/2016_Annual_Meeting/
03/01/2016, 03:02 PM
- Scholars at Risk Network Information Sharing “Drop-in” Sessions: February 16th - June 15th, 2023
- SSSP Membership Benefit: Policy Brief Writing Workshop
- Racial/Ethnic Minority Graduate Fellowship–Deadline 2/1/23
- Don’t forget to submit a paper for the SSSP 2023 Annual Meeting–Extended Deadline 1/31/23
- Submit a Paper for the SSSP 2023 Annual Meeting–Extended Deadline 1/31/23
- SSSP: Introducing the New Executive Officer
- Thank You, 2022 SSSP Contributors!
- Renew Your Membership for 2023
- New Virtual Issue: The Precarious State of Abortion in America
- Deadline Extended for the 2023 Call for Papers and the Student Paper Competitions – New Deadline–1/31/23
- The Federal Trade Commission wants to Ban Noncompete Employment Clauses
- Apply to be the next Editor of Social Problems – Deadline 1/15/23
- Questions You May Have About the SSSP Annual Meeting
- Your Donation is Tax Deductible
- Give the Gift of SSSP
- End of the Year Reminders
- Call for Books for the 2023 Annual Meeting – Author Meets Critics Sessions Deadline Quickly Approaching 12/15/22
- In Case You Missed it! "Lessons Learned in Navigating the Applied Workplace"
- C. Wright Mills Award Nomination Deadline is Quickly Approaching 12/15/22
- Webinar: Lessons Learned in Navigating the Applied Workplace (TODAY!)