Latest SSSP News
Archives - March 2023
March 22, 2023
Nominations for the Joseph B. Gittler Award, due April 15
The Joseph B. Gittler Award is awarded to an active SSSP member in recognition of their significant scholarly achievements contributing to the ethical resolution of social problems and is awarded with a stipend of $500. To learn more, visit:
03/22/2023, 11:13 AM
March 21, 2023
Nominations for the Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Award, due April 15
The Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Award is awarded annually to an outstanding faculty member who has exercised an extensive leadership role within the SSSP and other professional societies and within the larger community and is awarded with a stipend of $500. To learn more, visit:
03/21/2023, 06:31 PM
March 16, 2023
Experience a Day in the Life of SSSP Student Member: Stephanie M. House-Niamke
To celebrate the amazing work of SSSP student members, Stephanie M. House-Niamke, a Ph.D. student in Sociology at West Virginia University, will be taking over SSSP social media on Monday, March 20th.
Get ready to experience a day in the life of a sociology graduate student and learn more about Stephanie here.
03/16/2023, 11:09 AM
March 15, 2023
Vote in the 2023 General Election
Today is the last day to vote in the 2023 General Election. We are excited to have a slate of highly qualified candidates willing to serve. Candidates have provided an online resume form highlighting their professional work and a candidate statement. Please take time to review the slate of candidates and cast your vote in this important election! Online voting will close at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time) tonight.
03/15/2023, 09:11 AM
March 14, 2023
Register for the 73rd Annual Meeting
Registration for the 73rd Annual Meeting is open. Early Bird Registration ends on June 1, so don’t miss out on the cost savings. To register at the lowest rate, click here. The Board of Directors approved an in-person only meeting. Attendees will be asked to follow health and safety protocols mandated by the SSSP Board while attending the meeting.
03/14/2023, 01:23 PM
March 09, 2023
Travel Funds to Attend the In-person Annual Meeting, application deadline March 15
Apply for one of the travel fund awards for the upcoming annual meeting. All applicants must be a 2023 SSSP member when applying. Click here to join or renew. The Erwin O. Smigel Award Committee announces funds available for unemployed and underemployed sociologists. The Lee Scholar Support Fund Committee announces funds available for non-U.S. based international scholars from politically, economically, and culturally oppressed groups in countries not considered part of the Global South. The Lee Student Support Fund Committee announces funds available for undergraduate and graduate students. The Transnational Initiatives Committee announces funds available for international scholars from the Global South.
03/09/2023, 11:54 AM
March 07, 2023
Stay at the SSSP Conference Hotel
Reserve your room at the Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel. Our single/double rate of $191 plus tax includes complimentary internet in your guest room. Be sure to request the SSSP 2023 Annual Conference room rate. Reservations must be confirmed by July 25 to guarantee SSSP’s negotiated group rate. Reservations received after or if the room block is filled prior to that date, are subject to availability or increased rate.
03/07/2023, 11:30 AM
March 06, 2023
Most Read in 2022 from the Journal of Gender-Based Violence
The most read articles published in Journal of Gender-Based Violence in 2022 are now available to read for free. Explore the collection at https://bristoluniversitypressdigital.com/subject/MostreadJGBV
SSSP members can get a print subscription for just £43/€54 (UK & Europe) or £54/US$83 (Rest of World). Find out more here.
Follow @JGBVjournal on Twitter to get the latest issues, free highlights and journal news.
03/06/2023, 09:36 AM
March 02, 2023
Free Online Course on Academic Freedom – Monday, March 6
Are some questions too dangerous to ask? What happens to scholars and students who ask those questions? How can you contribute to strengthening core higher education values, such as academic freedom? These are among the questions we will discuss in “Dangerous Questions: Why Academic Freedom Matters,” a free online course created by the Academic Refuge project. For more information and to register online click here.
03/02/2023, 11:56 AM
- Nominations for the Joseph B. Gittler Award, due April 15
- Nominations for the Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Award, due April 15
- Experience a Day in the Life of SSSP Student Member: Stephanie M. House-Niamke
- Vote in the 2023 General Election
- Register for the 73rd Annual Meeting
- Travel Funds to Attend the In-person Annual Meeting, application deadline March 15
- Stay at the SSSP Conference Hotel
- Most Read in 2022 from the Journal of Gender-Based Violence
- Free Online Course on Academic Freedom – Monday, March 6
- SSSP Mentoring Programs, application deadline: June 30
- Nominate a Colleague for a SSSP Faculty Award, application deadline: April 15
- Travel Funds to Attend the Annual Meeting, application deadline March 15
- Reserve Your Room for the 2023 Annual Meeting
- 2023 General Election Now Open for Voting
- Registration for the 2023 Annual Meeting is now open
- Give the Gift of SSSP
- Scholars at Risk Network Information Sharing “Drop-in” Sessions: February 16th - June 15th, 2023
- SSSP Membership Benefit: Policy Brief Writing Workshop
- Racial/Ethnic Minority Graduate Fellowship–Deadline 2/1/23
- Don’t forget to submit a paper for the SSSP 2023 Annual Meeting–Extended Deadline 1/31/23