Beth B. Hess Memorial Scholarship
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
History and Overview
The 2018 Beth B. Hess Memorial Scholarship will be awarded to an advanced sociology Ph.D. student who began her or his study in a community college or technical school. A student advanced to candidacy (ABD status) in an accredited Ph.D. program in sociology in the U.S. is eligible to apply if she or he studied at a U.S. two-year college either part-time or full-time for the equivalent of at least one full academic year that was not part of a high-school dual-enrollment or enrichment program.
The Scholarship carries a stipend of $15,000 from Sociologists for Women in Society (SWS) with assistance from the Society for the Study of Social Problems (SSSP) to be used to support the pursuit of a Ph.D., as well as one-year memberships in SWS (including a subscription to Gender & Society) and SSSP. The first award payment of $7,500 will be given at the SWS Summer banquet, with the second $7,500 payment to come at the SWS Winter meeting. Recognizing Beth Hess’s significant contributions to the American Sociological Association (ASA), ASA joins SWS and SSSP in supporting and celebrating the awardee at their Annual Meeting. The awardee’s economy class airfare, train fare or driving mileage/tolls will be paid jointly by SWS and SSSP. ASA also supports applicants for this award via their student travel award program (more than one such award may be given, but students must apply to ASA separately). Each association will also waive its meeting registration and provide complementary banquet and/or reception tickets for the awardee.
What We’ll Be Looking For
To honor Beth Hess’s career, the committee will be looking for:
- Commitment to teaching, especially at a community college or other institution serving less-privileged students.
- Research and/or activism in social inequality, social justice, or social problems, with a focus on gender and/or gerontology being especially positive
- Service to the academic and/or local community, including mentoring
- High quality research and writing in the proposal and letter of application.
Applications for the award should be sent electronically as a single Word or RTF file via e-mail attachment to: Sarah Bruch (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications must contain in the following order:
- A cover sheet with:
- Name and full contact information, including phone and email
- Current academic affiliation, with years attended and expected degree date
- Community college or technical school attended, with years and number of credits completed
- Name and contact information for graduate faculty reference
- If included, name of honored faculty member
Applicants should also arrange for the following to be sent directly either electronically via e-mail attachment or in hard copy:
- A letter confirming advancement to candidacy (ABD status) in a sociology Ph.D. program and aid award, if any. ABD status is required.
- A letter of recommendation from a sociologist.
- Transcript (official or unofficial) from the community or technical college attended.
Only the enrollment confirmation, letter of recommendation, and transcript will be accepted in hard copy. Electronic copies of these materials are preferred and should be sent directly by the individual or institution supplying them. Hard copies can be mailed directly to:
Dr. Sarah Bruch
Department of Sociology
130 Seashore Hall West
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242
To be considered, all application materials (electronic and hard copy) must be RECEIVED by April 1, 2018.
For further information contact Sarah Bruch ( )