Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Award
The deadline for nominations for the 2018 Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Award is April 15, 2018.
Nominations are now open for the 2018 Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Award. Members of the Society are urged to nominate one or more persons for the award. All nominees must be current SSSP members when applying. The deadline for the 2018 award nominations is April 15, 2018.
The Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Award will be given annually to an outstanding faculty member who has exercised an extensive leadership role within the SSSP and other professional societies and within the larger community. The award was established in 2016 and will be awarded annually with a stipend of $500. In her 2001 Social Problems article, “Making History: A Personal Narrative of My Presidential Year,” Doris chronicles her activities in the Society during the early 1970s, when SSSP’s programs and members offered her a refuge during a restless period within the American Sociological Association (ASA). She was a participant-observer of the events that occurred when Sociologists for Women in Society and the Association of Black Sociologists were seen as “outsiders within” and sought “meaningful” entry and participation in the ASA. Doris turned her observation into action and became one of the leading voices in bringing change to the society and sociology as a discipline. Her leadership was consistent with the Society’s mission, and the Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Award will be given to a scholar who effectively:
1) Addresses social issues of contemporary public importance;
2) Brings a deepened public understanding to these issues;
3) Advances social understanding of leadership for change within the larger society;
4) Proposes courses of action to effect that change.
Review the list of the past winners of the Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Award.
To nominate a person for the 2018 Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Award, click the following link: 2018 Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Nomination Form. All nominations must be submitted online no later than April 15, 2018. The 2018 award will be presented at the 68th Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, PA, August 10-12, 2018.
- Any member of the Society may nominate one or more persons for the award. Members of the Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Award Committee are encouraged to nominate.
- All nominations must be accompanied by supporting evidence sufficiently detailed for the committee to render a decision (e.g., a resume or additional supporting description of the nominee's work, demonstrating that the contributions meet the criteria for nomination). Please include supporting information not covered in a resume. List names of colleagues who would be willing and able to write supporting letters upon the request.
Please address all questions to:
Dr. Ruth Thompson-Miller
Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Award Committee