Kathleen S. Lowney Mentoring Award
The deadline for nominations for the 2018 Kathleen S. Lowney Mentoring Award is April 15, 2018.
Nominations are now open for the 2018 Kathleen S. Lowney Mentoring Award. Members of the Society are urged to nominate one or more persons for the award. The deadline for the 2018 award is April 15, 2018.
Established in 2017, the Kathleen S. Lowney Mentoring Award will be given annually to an outstanding faculty member or community activist. The award will be presented at the awards ceremony during the annual meeting. The award recipient will receive a plaque and up to three of the award recipient’s mentees will receive a one-year SSSP membership as well as annual meeting registration fees for the year the award is presented.
The award is established to recognize the value of quality mentoring relationships between mentor and mentee and/or mentoring programs especially those for undergraduate or graduate students and/or for social activists, particularly for younger scholars and activists. The goals of effective mentoring should include: fostering sensitivity and understanding of significant problems of social life; encouraging understandings of institutional inequalities and strategies for overcoming them; promoting problem-centered social research and/or social activism.
- Any member of the Society may nominate one or more persons for the award. Members of the Kathleen S. Lowney Mentoring Award Committee are encouraged to nominate.
- All online nominations must be accompanied by a letter of nomination explaining how the person or program has excelled in mentoring, the nominee’s abbreviated curriculum vitae that highlights mentoring activities; or in the case of a program, the program description highlighting mentoring activities, and no fewer than three, and no more than ten supporting letters from mentees.
The nominee must have a history of:
- Creating and implementing innovative mentoring approaches;
- Creating and implementing innovative mentoring programs;
- Involving peers and mentees in publications, grants, and conferences, as well as readily sharing knowledge of such opportunities.
Review the list of the past winners of the Kathleen S. Lowney Mentoring Award.
All online nominations must be submitted no later than April 15, 2018. The 2018 award will be presented at the 68th Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, PA, August 10-12, 2018.
Please address all questions to:
Dr. Jerome Krase, Chair
Kathleen S. Lowney Mentoring Award Committee