Latest SSSP News
Increased Impact Factor announced
In June 2019, the Web of Science Group, part of Clarivate Analytics, released the update to its annual Journal Citation Reports reflecting data from the 2018 publishing year.
The Journal Citation Reports (Web of Science Group, 2019) are annually compiled to aggregate the meaningful connections of citations created by the research community through the delivery of a rich array of publisher-independent data, metrics and analysis of the world’s high-quality academic journals.
These metrics include the Journal Impact Factor and category rankings. The Journal Citation Reports calculate these metrics based on a variety of criteria, including the number of citations each article receives in other journals. Librarians, researchers, and tenure committees consider Journal Impact Factor rankings among the factors that determine a journal's benefit to and cache within the scholarly community.
The 2018 Journal Impact Factor ranking forSocial Problems placed it among the top 20 journals in all of sociology—with an impact factor of 2.789. The 5-Year impact factor of 3.435 speaks to the enduring quality of the journal and the lasting importance of its content to the field, especially as the number sociology journals continues to grow over time. In celebration of this accomplishment, a collection of highly cited articles is now freely available.
While these rankings do not provide the entire picture of a journal, including its peer-review process, its history, or value to a niche audience, they do relay a journal’s overall discoverability, relative significance in the field, and timeliness of content—aspects that result from the hard work and foresight of its editorial office, a healthy society membership and reader base, and a diligent publisher able to utilize every means possible to enhance visibility in a digital environment. Social Problems’ ongoing ranking among the highest-cited journals warrants hearty congratulations to the Editors of Social Problems -- past and present -- and their teams, whose efforts have ensured that Social Problems remains one of the most influential outlets in our discipline!
Posted Friday, 06/28/2019, 11:58 AM - Comments - Category: Member News
- Social Entrepreneurship Paper Awards, Application Deadline April 30
- Nominations for the Joseph B. Gittler Award, due April 15
- Nominations for the Doris Wilkinson Faculty Leadership Award, due April 15
- Experience a Day in the Life of SSSP Student Member: Stephanie M. House-Niamke
- Vote in the 2023 General Election
- Register for the 73rd Annual Meeting
- Travel Funds to Attend the In-person Annual Meeting, application deadline March 15
- Stay at the SSSP Conference Hotel
- Most Read in 2022 from the Journal of Gender-Based Violence
- Free Online Course on Academic Freedom – Monday, March 6
- SSSP Mentoring Programs, application deadline: June 30
- Nominate a Colleague for a SSSP Faculty Award, application deadline: April 15
- Travel Funds to Attend the Annual Meeting, application deadline March 15
- Reserve Your Room for the 2023 Annual Meeting
- 2023 General Election Now Open for Voting
- Registration for the 2023 Annual Meeting is now open
- Give the Gift of SSSP
- Scholars at Risk Network Information Sharing “Drop-in” Sessions: February 16th - June 15th, 2023
- SSSP Membership Benefit: Policy Brief Writing Workshop
- Racial/Ethnic Minority Graduate Fellowship–Deadline 2/1/23