Latest SSSP News
Archives - July 2012
July 31, 2012
Social Problems 59:3 is now available online
Social Problems 59:3 is now available online.
Click here to read the latest issue.
07/31/2012, 12:13 PM
Condolences for Aurora Shooting
On behalf of the SSSP, Executive Officer Héctor Delgado sent letters to both Mayor Steve Hogan and Governor John W. Hickenlooper expressing condolences to the loved ones of the victims of the Aurora shooting that occurred on July 20th, 2012.
“When tragic events such as these occur, they have the effect of bringing us closer together. Unfortunately, too often the effect is too short, and with the exception of the families, we tend to forget too quickly. We hope and trust that in this case, this horrific act will remind us always that the things we share with one another are much greater and lasting than the differences that divide us from time to time.”
Click here to read the letters in full.
07/31/2012, 09:17 AM
July 26, 2012
Online Registration Ends August 1!
This is a reminder that the SSSP 2012 Annual Meeting online registration ends midnight (EDT) on Wednesday, August 1. Starting on Thursday, August 2, the on-site registration rates will apply. If you plan to attend the conference, avoid the lines at the conference and register today!
Please let us know if you have any questions.
Most sincerely, The Administrative Office
SSSP Annual Meeting Webpage: http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/459/2012_Annual_Meeting/
Online Registration Form: http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/483/fuseaction/ssspconf.portal
07/26/2012, 10:06 AM
July 24, 2012
2012 Proposed Resolutions
SSSP resolutions constitute an important opportunity for our scholar-activist membership to publicly declare its sentiments, thereby creating a channel for greater visibility and more direct influence upon various “publics” (e.g. fellow activists, scholars, students, voters, groups, policy- and decision-makers). All SSSP members are invited to review the proposed 2012 resolutions and participate in the resolutions process.
New resolution guidelines were adopted in order to promote and facilitate wider discussion prior to formal consideration at the 2012 Business Meeting [Friday, August 17 from 9:50am – 11:00am, Imperial Ballroom]. To that end, please review the five proposed resolutions. An open forum to discuss the proposed resolutions will be held on the first day of the annual meetings at [2:30pm – 4:10pm, Maroon Peak]. Possible modifications to the resolutions will be considered during the open discussion. The revised (if any) resolutions will then be presented as a package for approval by the membership at the business meeting.
We would also like to remind individuals and divisions who submitted resolutions, that the administrative office may call on you to assist in the action called for in your resolution (e.g. helping to draft a letter to a government official). Our thanks to everyone who submitted a resolution and to our members for giving them careful consideration. If you have any questions regarding the proposed resolutions, I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wendy L. Chapkis, SSSP Vice-President, 2011-2012
Proposed Resolutions: http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/503/m/503
07/24/2012, 01:45 PM
July 10, 2012
2012 Annual Meeting: Pre-registration deadline reminder
This is a reminder that the SSSP 2012 Annual Meeting pre-registration discounted rates end midnight (EDT) on Sunday, July 15. Starting on Monday, July 16, the on-site registration rates will apply. If you plan to attend the conference, register today!
07/10/2012, 09:03 AM
- Scholars at Risk Network Information Sharing “Drop-in” Sessions: February 16th - June 15th, 2023
- SSSP Membership Benefit: Policy Brief Writing Workshop
- Racial/Ethnic Minority Graduate Fellowship–Deadline 2/1/23
- Don’t forget to submit a paper for the SSSP 2023 Annual Meeting–Extended Deadline 1/31/23
- Submit a Paper for the SSSP 2023 Annual Meeting–Extended Deadline 1/31/23
- SSSP: Introducing the New Executive Officer
- Thank You, 2022 SSSP Contributors!
- Renew Your Membership for 2023
- New Virtual Issue: The Precarious State of Abortion in America
- Deadline Extended for the 2023 Call for Papers and the Student Paper Competitions – New Deadline–1/31/23
- The Federal Trade Commission wants to Ban Noncompete Employment Clauses
- Apply to be the next Editor of Social Problems – Deadline 1/15/23
- Questions You May Have About the SSSP Annual Meeting
- Your Donation is Tax Deductible
- Give the Gift of SSSP
- End of the Year Reminders
- Call for Books for the 2023 Annual Meeting – Author Meets Critics Sessions Deadline Quickly Approaching 12/15/22
- In Case You Missed it! "Lessons Learned in Navigating the Applied Workplace"
- C. Wright Mills Award Nomination Deadline is Quickly Approaching 12/15/22
- Webinar: Lessons Learned in Navigating the Applied Workplace (TODAY!)