Latest SSSP News
Archives - April 2013
April 29, 2013
2014 General Election - Nominations are open!
Nominations are open for candidates to run in the 2014 General Election. We will be electing a President-Elect, a Vice-President Elect, regular and student members of the Board of Directors, members of the Budget, Finance, and Audit Committee, Committee on Committees, Editorial and Publications Committee, and the Membership and Outreach Committee. Please consider nominating a colleague or yourself for one of these offices by completing the online nomination form.
Nominations should include a brief description of the nominee's SSSP involvement and other relevant experiences. The Nominations Committee will meet at the Annual Meeting in New York City, NY. All nominations should be submitted prior to Saturday, June 15. The Board of Directors will approve the slate of candidates for the 2014 General Election on August 11. If you have any questions, please contact Shannon Monnat, Chair of the Special Problems Division, directly, at Shannon.Monnat@unlv.edu.
04/29/2013, 02:35 PM
Congratulations to the 2013 General Election Winners!
Congratulations to the 2013 General Election Winners!
We were very fortunate to have a strong list of candidates for the 2013 General Election and would like to thank everyone who agreed to stand for this important annual election. Click here to see the results of the 2013 General Election.
04/29/2013, 10:42 AM
April 23, 2013
NYC Walking Tours - SOLD OUT!
This year's walking tours have SOLD OUT!
However, there's still plenty to do and see in NYC for the 2013 Annual Meeting. Check out our Welcome to New York City guides:
04/23/2013, 05:33 PM
NYC Walking Tours - Just a Few Tickets Remain!
There are very few tickets left for each of this year's walking tours that have been exclusively set up for the SSSP by the award-winning organization "Big Onion-NYC." If you are presently considering taking one of these two optional tours, you need to act now!
***** The Gay and Lesbian History: Before Stonewall Tour features many facets of lesbian and gay history in Greenwich Village.*****
*****The Historic Harlem Tour explores Harlem's development from a Dutch village to the "Capital of Black America" by the 1920s. *****
To secure your place, be sure to click on the walking tours option when you register for the annual meeting. To register, click here:
04/23/2013, 11:02 AM
April 08, 2013
2013 Annual Meeting Registration and Hotel Reservations
Registration for the SSSP 2013 Annual Meeting in New York City - pre-registration ends July 8!
The annual meeting will take place from August 9-11 at the Westin New York at Times Square. To register, visit: www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/483/fuseaction/ssspconf.portal.
Make your hotel reservation at the Westin New York at Times Square!
We’re happy to announce that our single/double room rate of $230 includes complimentary internet in your guest room. To make a reservation, call 888-627-7149 and give the group name (The Society for the Study of Social Problems) to ensure you are given the correct room rate or go to https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/TheSocietyForTheStudyOfSocialProblems.
04/08/2013, 09:23 AM
April 05, 2013
Nomination Deadline Approaching - 2013 Joseph B. Gittler Award
Nominations for the 2013 Joseph B. Gittler Award are due by April 15th!
Established in 2007 at the bequest of Joseph B. Gittler, this award is made in recognition of the significant scholarly achievements that a SSSP member has made in contributing to the ethical resolution of social problems.
Click here for more information:
04/05/2013, 04:14 PM
April 03, 2013
Nomination Deadline Approaching - 2013 Lee Founders Award
Nominations for the 2013 Lee Founders Award are due by April 15th!
Established in 1981, this award is made in recognition of significant lifetime achievements demonstrating a devotion to the SSSP and to the ideals of the founders of the Society and especially to the humanist tradition of Alfred McClung Lee and Elizabeth Briant Lee. For more information, click here:
04/03/2013, 08:38 PM
- Scholars at Risk Network Information Sharing “Drop-in” Sessions: February 16th - June 15th, 2023
- SSSP Membership Benefit: Policy Brief Writing Workshop
- Racial/Ethnic Minority Graduate Fellowship–Deadline 2/1/23
- Don’t forget to submit a paper for the SSSP 2023 Annual Meeting–Extended Deadline 1/31/23
- Submit a Paper for the SSSP 2023 Annual Meeting–Extended Deadline 1/31/23
- SSSP: Introducing the New Executive Officer
- Thank You, 2022 SSSP Contributors!
- Renew Your Membership for 2023
- New Virtual Issue: The Precarious State of Abortion in America
- Deadline Extended for the 2023 Call for Papers and the Student Paper Competitions – New Deadline–1/31/23
- The Federal Trade Commission wants to Ban Noncompete Employment Clauses
- Apply to be the next Editor of Social Problems – Deadline 1/15/23
- Questions You May Have About the SSSP Annual Meeting
- Your Donation is Tax Deductible
- Give the Gift of SSSP
- End of the Year Reminders
- Call for Books for the 2023 Annual Meeting – Author Meets Critics Sessions Deadline Quickly Approaching 12/15/22
- In Case You Missed it! "Lessons Learned in Navigating the Applied Workplace"
- C. Wright Mills Award Nomination Deadline is Quickly Approaching 12/15/22
- Webinar: Lessons Learned in Navigating the Applied Workplace (TODAY!)