Latest SSSP News
Archives - May 2015
May 27, 2015
Call for Nominations - 2016 General Election
Nominations are open for candidates to run in the 2016 General Election. We will be electing a President-Elect, a Vice-President Elect, regular and student members of the Board of Directors, members of the Budget, Finance, and Audit Committee, Committee on Committees, Editorial and Publications Committee, and the Membership and Outreach Committee. Please consider nominating a colleague or yourself for one of these offices by completing the online nomination form.
Nominations should include a brief description of the nominee's SSSP involvement and other relevant experiences. The Nominations Committee will meet at the Annual Meeting in Chicago, IL. All nominations should be submitted prior to Monday, June 15, 2015. The Board of Directors will approve the slate of candidates for the 2016 General Election on August 23, 2015. If you have any questions, please contact Shannon M. Monnat, Chairperson, Council of the Divisions.
Note: If a SSSP member is interested in serving on an appointed committee, the member may select the appropriate committee when renewing membership. The Administrative Office will give your name to the Committee on Committees for consideration.
05/27/2015, 11:54 AM
May 18, 2015
May 14, 2015
The Preliminary Program for the 65th Annual Meeting is Now Available!
The preliminary program for the 65th Annual Meeting of the Society for the Study of Social Problems is now available. Please visit http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/639/Preliminary_Program/ to review the program, make your travel arrangements, and register for the conference. We hope you will be able to join us from August 21-23 at the Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel in Chicago, Illinois. President Marlese Durr and her Program Committee have worked diligently to organize workshops and collaborative sessions under this year's program theme: Removing the Mask, Lifting the Veil: Race, Class, and Gender in the 21st Century. The first decade and a half of the 21st century has been marked by issues of race, gender, and class. The meeting will serve as a space to locate avenues for continuing the progressive work that has begun investigating fractures in building a culture free of "isms."
05/14/2015, 04:06 PM
May 12, 2015
The 2014 C. Wright Mills Award Finalists have been selected
The committee reviewed 63 nominated books to select the six finalists. The committee will select the winner prior to the Annual Meeting and announce the winner at the Awards Ceremony in Chicago, IL. All finalists’ books will be recognized in the 2015 Annual Conference program and at the ceremony.
To an outstanding degree, each of the finalists met the criteria for the award:
• Critically addresses an issue of contemporary public importance.
• Brings to the topic a fresh, imaginative perspective.
• Advances social scientific understanding of the topic.
• Displays a theoretically informed view and empirical orientation.
• Evinces quality in style of writing.
• Explicitly or implicitly contains implications for courses of action.
To view the list of finalists, visit:http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/pageid/1860.
05/12/2015, 03:02 PM
- Scholars at Risk Network Information Sharing “Drop-in” Sessions: February 16th - June 15th, 2023
- SSSP Membership Benefit: Policy Brief Writing Workshop
- Racial/Ethnic Minority Graduate Fellowship–Deadline 2/1/23
- Don’t forget to submit a paper for the SSSP 2023 Annual Meeting–Extended Deadline 1/31/23
- Submit a Paper for the SSSP 2023 Annual Meeting–Extended Deadline 1/31/23
- SSSP: Introducing the New Executive Officer
- Thank You, 2022 SSSP Contributors!
- Renew Your Membership for 2023
- New Virtual Issue: The Precarious State of Abortion in America
- Deadline Extended for the 2023 Call for Papers and the Student Paper Competitions – New Deadline–1/31/23
- The Federal Trade Commission wants to Ban Noncompete Employment Clauses
- Apply to be the next Editor of Social Problems – Deadline 1/15/23
- Questions You May Have About the SSSP Annual Meeting
- Your Donation is Tax Deductible
- Give the Gift of SSSP
- End of the Year Reminders
- Call for Books for the 2023 Annual Meeting – Author Meets Critics Sessions Deadline Quickly Approaching 12/15/22
- In Case You Missed it! "Lessons Learned in Navigating the Applied Workplace"
- C. Wright Mills Award Nomination Deadline is Quickly Approaching 12/15/22
- Webinar: Lessons Learned in Navigating the Applied Workplace (TODAY!)