Latest SSSP News
Archives - March 2020
March 31, 2020
COVID-19 and Human Rights Resource Page
What are the health and human rights issues raised by the novel #coronavirus and other epidemics? This resource page compiles information from AAAS Science and Human Rights Coalition member organizations, educational resources, legal analyses, and more. #COVID19
Resource page: https://www.aaas.org/coalition/covid19
03/31/2020, 10:15 AM
March 27, 2020
SSSP Departmental Membership Opportunity
Do you work in a social science related department who wishes to receive the journal Social Problems? Talk to your department chair and consider becoming a Departmental Member. SSSP Departmental Memberships are available for $94. Departmental Memberships share 1 vote in business matters of the Society.
03/27/2020, 08:49 AM
March 24, 2020
Call for Nominations for the SSSP 2021 General Election (deadline 6/15)
Nominations are open for candidates to run in the 2021 General Election. Please consider nominating a colleague or yourself for one of these offices by completing the online nomination form at https://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/pageid/2178
03/24/2020, 08:51 AM
March 19, 2020
SSSP New Human Rights and Social Justice Page
We are pleased to announce the launch of a new Human Rights and Social Justice webpage. This new page provides resources for individuals and organizations interested in doing human rights and social justice work and serves as partial evidence of the Society’s own commitment to Human Rights and Social Justice.
Check it out, https://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/pageid/2245.
03/19/2020, 09:05 AM
March 17, 2020
Update on the SSSP Annual Meeting in San Francisco
We want to update you about our annual meeting in San Francisco in August in light of COVID-19. We have been and will continue to be in touch with the ASA and other organizations to coordinate our actions. With the conference five months away, however, we are still planning to meet in San Francisco. Of course, our primary concern is that of health and safety. Consequently, if needed, we will cancel the annual meeting.
Be safe and if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will be in touch with an update in the near future (Héctor L. Delgado, Executive Officer, email@example.com; Heather M. Dalmage, President, firstname.lastname@example.org; Michele Koontz, Administrative Officer & Meeting Manager, email@example.com).
03/17/2020, 11:24 AM
March 15, 2020
Vote in the 2020 General Election
Today is the last day to vote in the 2020 General Election. We are excited to have a slate of highly qualified candidates willing to serve. Candidates have provided an online resume form highlighting their professional work and a candidate statement. Please take time to review the slate of candidates and cast your vote in this important election! Remember, every vote counts. Click here to cast your vote, if you haven’t already: https://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/pageId/1017
03/15/2020, 09:17 AM
March 12, 2020
Vote in the SSSP 2020 General Election (deadline 3/15)
Please take time to review the slate of highly qualified candidates and cast your vote in this important election! If you haven’t already, cast your vote at https://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/pageId/1017. Online voting will close on March 15.
03/12/2020, 09:33 AM
March 10, 2020
Travel Fund Awards to Attend the Annual Meeting (deadline 3/15)
The final day to apply for travel funds to attend this year’s Annual Meeting is Sunday, March 15. Don’t miss out! The Erwin O. Smigel Award Committee has funds available for unemployed and underemployed sociologists. The Lee Scholar Support Fund Committee has funds available for non-U.S. based foreign scholars. The Lee Student Support Fund Committee has funds available for undergraduate and graduate students. The Transnational Initiatives Committee has funds available for scholars located in the Global South.
For more information and to apply for one of our travel fund awards, visit https://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/263/Travel_Fund_Awards/
03/10/2020, 09:44 AM
March 05, 2020
Nominations for the Beth B. Hess Memorial Scholarship (deadline 4/1)
The Beth B. Hess Memorial Scholarship is awarded to an advanced sociology Ph.D. student who began their study in a community college or technical school. To submit your online application and learn more, visit https://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/336/Beth_B_Hess_Memorial_Scholarship/
03/05/2020, 09:35 AM
March 03, 2020
Nominations for the Thomas C. Hood Social Action Award (deadline 4/1)
The Thomas C. Hood Social Action Award is awarded to a local grassroots social justice organization in the Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area (as defined by the U.S. Bureau of Census) in which the annual meeting is held that year. To nominate a deserving organization in San Francisco, CA, visit: https://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/262/Thomas_C_Hood_Social_Action_Award
03/03/2020, 08:35 AM
- Scholars at Risk Network Information Sharing “Drop-in” Sessions: February 16th - June 15th, 2023
- SSSP Membership Benefit: Policy Brief Writing Workshop
- Racial/Ethnic Minority Graduate Fellowship–Deadline 2/1/23
- Don’t forget to submit a paper for the SSSP 2023 Annual Meeting–Extended Deadline 1/31/23
- Submit a Paper for the SSSP 2023 Annual Meeting–Extended Deadline 1/31/23
- SSSP: Introducing the New Executive Officer
- Thank You, 2022 SSSP Contributors!
- Renew Your Membership for 2023
- New Virtual Issue: The Precarious State of Abortion in America
- Deadline Extended for the 2023 Call for Papers and the Student Paper Competitions – New Deadline–1/31/23
- The Federal Trade Commission wants to Ban Noncompete Employment Clauses
- Apply to be the next Editor of Social Problems – Deadline 1/15/23
- Questions You May Have About the SSSP Annual Meeting
- Your Donation is Tax Deductible
- Give the Gift of SSSP
- End of the Year Reminders
- Call for Books for the 2023 Annual Meeting – Author Meets Critics Sessions Deadline Quickly Approaching 12/15/22
- In Case You Missed it! "Lessons Learned in Navigating the Applied Workplace"
- C. Wright Mills Award Nomination Deadline is Quickly Approaching 12/15/22
- Webinar: Lessons Learned in Navigating the Applied Workplace (TODAY!)