We are excited to announce that the 2019 Annual Meeting will be held at the Roosevelt Hotel. The hotel is ideally situated in the business district and located within walking distance of the Rockefeller Center and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It is the perfect location for seeing all that the City has to offer.
Booking a room within the SSSP room block is an important way to support the Society and keep overall meeting expenses as low as possible. Staying at the conference hotel is more convenient and allows you the opportunity to renew acquaintances with other members and meet newcomers. Informal gatherings are easy to arrange because the largest proportion of our members stay at the conference hotel.
The hotel features 1,025 guestrooms, including 30 suites with many amenities. Features include a fitness and health center, complimentary premium wi-fi, a 24 Hour Webzone (self-serve business center), and valet parking in an off-site garage. Cribs are free of charge and rollaway beds are available upon request for $35 daily.
The confirmed SSSP room rate is $229 (USD) + tax per night for a single/double room. Room rates are subject to a 14.75% NYC/NYS tax and a $3.50 per room, per night occupancy tax. All taxes and fees are subject to change.
To make a reservation, click here or call their toll-free number at 1-888-833-3969. International callers, call directly at 1-212-661-9600 and ask to be connected to Reservations. Please request the SSSP group room rate when booking a room to ensure the correct discounted rate is given (based on availability). The cut-off date for the SSSP group rate is July 16.
Reservations must be confirmed by this date to guarantee the group rate. Reservations made after July 16 or after the room block is filled are subject to availability and rate increase.
Hotel Dining Options
The Roosevelt Hotel offers a vibrant dining and nightlife scene across multiple restaurants and bars. Whether you are looking for a quick breakfast, a decadent dinner, or a couple of hand-crafted cocktails, the Roosevelt has got you covered.
Roosevelt Grill: Start your day with Starbucks coffee, a bountiful buffet and all your morning favorites like breakfast sandwiches, freshly-baked pastries, and cold cereals. Open daily for breakfast only.
Madison Club Lounge: The Madison Club Lounge offers mouthwatering lunch and dinner fare in a relaxed, comfortable setting. Treat yourself to steak frites, pan-roasted wild salmon, or the legendary Roosevelt burger, or simply cap off the night with a drink and a game of eight ball in the Billiards Room.
Vander Bar: The Roosevelt Hotel’s street level bar is perfect for happy-hour gatherings, speedy business lunches and afternoon libations. Open Monday – Friday from 12:00pm – 9:00pm.
Mad46: The rooftop lounge is currently closed for construction and will re-open in Spring 2020.
Nearby Dining Options
From iconic to innovative, slow to fast, fine dining to budget eats, you will find something exciting for every taste and wallet in the Big Apple. Nearby the conference hotel, a wide range of restaurants around Bryant Park, Times Square, and the Grand Central Terminal can satisfy your dietary needs and your yearning for tastes from all around the world. A few more blocks away, you will find yourself in well-known dining neighborhoods of Korea Town and Hell’s Kitchen. You can easily take public transportation to get to legendary eateries in Harlem, the East and West Village, and Chinatown. Venture out of Manhattan and head to Brooklyn for trendy restaurants in Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope, and steakhouses in Williamsburg. A bit further out and you can immerse yourself in the cultures and tastes of different immigrant communities-West Indian food in Flatbush and Crown Heights in Brooklyn, Chinese and Korean food in Flushing, Greek food in Astoria, and various Latin American and Caribbean food in Corona, Queens. The foodie possibilities are endless.
Filicori Zecchini: Located at 2541 Broadway, Filicori Zecchini offers phenomenal coffee, juices, and light breakfast.
Uncle Paul’s Pizza: Located at 70 Vanderbilt Avenue, Uncle Paul’s Pizza offers a large variety of pizzas by the slice or order whole pizzas. They also serve pastas and other items along with a large variety of drinks and desserts.
For those who intend to remain near the conference hotel, there are many offerings within a few blocks.
Where can I get a drink?
- Cock & Bull: 23 West 45th Street
- BH Kitchen and Bar: 20 East 49th Street A
- Tavern 51:455 Madison Avenue at 50th Street
- Snafu:127 East 47th Street
A nice meal near the conference hotel
Options abound if you want to get out of the hotel and find something quick (or not so quick) to eat. A few suggestions within a few blocks of the hotel:
- The Dining Concourse, Grand Central Terminal (contains 20 dining options):89 East 42nd Street
- Carmine’s Italian Restaurant: 200 West 44th Street
- The Breslin: 16 West 29th Street
The Roosevelt Hotel features a collection of shops and boutiques selling apparel, shoes, jewelry, gifts, souvenirs, body care and travel essentials. Located on the street level inside the hotel, the shops are easily accessible via the elevator to the Arcade Level. And in the event you forget to pack everyday basics, the Gift Shop on the Lobby Level features newspapers, toiletries, snacks, and variety of retail items.
New York Area Attractions
The City that Never Sleeps. The Big Apple. Gotham. New York City has a lot of nicknames because there is a lot to do. When you stay at the Roosevelt Hotel, you are putting yourself in the perfect position to capitalize on famous landmarks, attractions, and events.
Summertime in the City, particularly in early August, can be very hot, so make sure to bring comfortable clothing and drink plenty of water as you explore. However, even with the hot temperatures, New York City in the summertime provides many opportunities for entertainment and sightseeing! Here are some attractions you may want to consider:
- Rockefeller Center (.4 miles from hotel), is a National Historic Landmark that offers amazing views of the City from Top of the Rock, tours of Radio City Music Hall, and the iconic ice-skating rink.
- Radio City Music Hall (.6 miles from hotel), is the largest indoor theater in the world and home to the famous Rockettes. The venue has hosted hundreds of legendary performers, from Ella Fitzgerald and Liberace to the biggest artists of today.
- Times Square (1 mile from hotel),Take a stroll along the most famous intersection in the world. Enjoy exciting Broadway shows, world-class shopping and dining, and entertaining street performers.
- Carnegie Hall (1.3 miles from hotel), is one of New York City’s premier concert halls and has been graced by many legendary performers, including BB King, Benny Goodman and Billie Holiday.
- Central Park (1.4 miles from hotel), Explore the world’s most famous park, located in the heart of New York City and featuring lush lawns, lakes, gardens, trails, historic bridges and attractions like the Central Park Zoo.
- Bryant Park, Fifth Avenue, Grand Central Terminal, Broadway, Museum of Modern Art, and Madison Square Garden are all less than 2 miles from the conference hotel.
Attractions further from the hotel are readily accessible by public transportation. A few suggestions:
- 9/11 Memorial Museum, is a center that documents the significance of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center in 2001. Museum artifacts include first-person accounts of what happened on that September morning in 2001, multi-media displays, and exhibits on history, which commemorate nearly 3,000 people who lost their lives in the attacks.
- Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, enjoy a seamless visit to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island in New York Harbor. This tour benefits from early reserve-line access for a round-trip ferry trip, as well as an optional early morning departure time that puts you ahead of many sightseers. Your guide takes you through Lady Liberty’s pedestal and to its observation decks, as well as through the Great Hall exhibits at Ellis Island.
- Empire State Building, get an unparalleled 360-degree view of New York City from the top of the iconic Empire State Building. Visit popular landmarks such as Central Park, the Chrysler Building, the Statue of Liberty, and Times Square.
For detailed information about area attractions, visit:
The SSSP does not provide childcare services at the annual meeting, but the Administrative Office can provide members, upon request, with a list of other members in need of childcare, in the event that they want to coordinate childcare/outings/etc. with one another. If this does not satisfy their childcare needs, members can call 1-212-682-0227 to contact Babysitters Guild, a childcare service in New York City recommended by the hotel. Please note that the Society has not vetted and therefore is not in the position to recommend this service. Consequently, members are advised to visit the service’s website http://www.babysittersguild.com/ and to conduct their own vetting.