Latest SSSP News
Archives - December 2013
December 30, 2013
Letter sent to University Provosts regarding Dr. Patti Adler's case
In December of 2013, Dr. Patti Adler, a tenured professor at the University of Colorado at Boulder, received word that she may be asked to retire from her position following complaints about a lesson from her class "Deviance in U.S. Society." The lesson focused on prostitution and featured a skit put on by Dr. Adler's teaching assistants dressed as a variety of prostitutes and sex workers. Although the University recently reversed it course of action against Dr. Adler, the approach to Dr. Adler's case garnered wide attention from a variety of academic communities in and outside of the University of Colorado at Boulder. On behalf of the SSSP, Executive Officer Héctor Delgado wrote a letter to University Provost Russell L. Moore, voicing concern over due process and academic freedom.
Click here to read the full letter.
12/30/2013, 09:20 AM
December 02, 2013
Upcoming SSSP Deadlines and Reminders
We have a few announcements and reminders to bring to your attention. For more information on each, simply click on the links below.
1. Nominate a book for the 2013 C. Wright Mills Award - deadline is December 15, 2013.
2. The 2014 General Election ballot preview is available. Voting will take place from March 15 - April 15, 2014.
3. Remember to renew your membership for 2014, if you have not already.
4. Submit a paper for the SSSP 2014 Annual Meeting - deadline is January 31, 2014.
5. Apply for one of the SSSP Division's Student Paper Competitions or Outstanding Scholarship Awards. Note that the deadline for all Student Paper Competitions is January 31, 2014. Deadlines vary for the Outstanding Scholarship Awards.
6. The Racial/Ethnic Minority Graduate Scholarship deadline is February 1, 2014.
7. Fifty Years Later: Post-Great Recession Images of the Poverty in America and Beyond. In the early 1960s, it was the stark images of photographers like Andrew Stern that stirred policymakers and the collective American conscience to take action against poverty. Fifty years later, it seems like we need visual images to again stir our collective conscience to address the work that remains. Therefore, I invite SSSP members to submit electronic images of poverty in America and beyond during this post-Great Recession period. These images will be included in my multimedia Presidential Address and/or in materials associated with our SSSP co-sponsored one-day Innovative Approaches to Poverty Summit. Please submit your electronic images and completed release form by April 30, 2014 to President Anna Maria Santiago at firstname.lastname@example.org.
12/02/2013, 02:24 PM
- Scholars at Risk Network Information Sharing “Drop-in” Sessions: February 16th - June 15th, 2023
- SSSP Membership Benefit: Policy Brief Writing Workshop
- Racial/Ethnic Minority Graduate Fellowship–Deadline 2/1/23
- Don’t forget to submit a paper for the SSSP 2023 Annual Meeting–Extended Deadline 1/31/23
- Submit a Paper for the SSSP 2023 Annual Meeting–Extended Deadline 1/31/23
- SSSP: Introducing the New Executive Officer
- Thank You, 2022 SSSP Contributors!
- Renew Your Membership for 2023
- New Virtual Issue: The Precarious State of Abortion in America
- Deadline Extended for the 2023 Call for Papers and the Student Paper Competitions – New Deadline–1/31/23
- The Federal Trade Commission wants to Ban Noncompete Employment Clauses
- Apply to be the next Editor of Social Problems – Deadline 1/15/23
- Questions You May Have About the SSSP Annual Meeting
- Your Donation is Tax Deductible
- Give the Gift of SSSP
- End of the Year Reminders
- Call for Books for the 2023 Annual Meeting – Author Meets Critics Sessions Deadline Quickly Approaching 12/15/22
- In Case You Missed it! "Lessons Learned in Navigating the Applied Workplace"
- C. Wright Mills Award Nomination Deadline is Quickly Approaching 12/15/22
- Webinar: Lessons Learned in Navigating the Applied Workplace (TODAY!)