Latest SSSP News
Archives - August 2017
August 31, 2017
Congratulations to all of the Student Paper Competition Winners
Congratulations to all of the Student Paper Competition Winners for their outstanding accomplishment of receiving a division award for their student papers at the 2017 Annual Meeting. The selection of each student paper for the award signifies exceptional writing and scholarship, as well as tremendous potential for a successful career. To read the abstracts for the 2017 Student Paper Competition winners and honorable mentions, visit: https://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/pageid/2039. Additional information regarding eligibility for next year’s student paper awards will be available on the SSSP website this fall.
08/31/2017, 09:34 AM
August 29, 2017
Congratulations to the Award and Scholarship Winners
Congratulations to the Award and Scholarship winners who were recognized at the 2017 Annual Meeting for their active pursuit in the application of critical, scientific, and humanistic perspectives to the study of vital social problems, and their accomplishment of being exceptional scholars, practitioners, advocates, and students. SSSP highlights these outstanding individuals in the Award & Scholarship Winners section on our webpage. A full list of the 2017 winners can be found here: https://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/pageid/2045. To learn more about SSSP’s awards & scholarships including nomination information, visit: https://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/24/Awards_&_Scholarships/.
08/29/2017, 11:37 AM
August 25, 2017
Letter to President Trump and Congressional Leaders Regarding Charlottesville
On behalf of SSSP’s Board of Directors, President Luis Fernandez, Vice-President David Embrick, and Executive Officer Héctor Delgado sent a letter to President Donald J.Trump to express the SSSP’s disappointment with his response to the recent neo-Nazi and white supremacist rally that occurred in Charlottesville. Another letter was also sent to Congressional leaders from both parties, expressing concerns with the muted or absence of a response by many members of Congress to the President’s failure to condemn white supremacy and white nationalism more swiftly and unambiguously. Additionally, both letters extended condolences on behalf of SSSP to the family of Heather Heyer and to the others injured in this domestic terrorist attack. Click here to read the full letter to President Trump. Click here to read the full letter to Congressional leaders.
08/25/2017, 08:39 AM
August 04, 2017
Download the SSSP Mobile App!
The SSSP Mobile App has been released. Downloading the app is easy!
Scan: Use your devices QR code scanner to quickly find the SSSP 2017 Mobile App.
Search: The App Store or Google Play for “SSSP 2017”.
For all other devices, including Blackberry, Windows, and other web browser-enabled devices, point your mobile browser to www.core-apps.com/dl/sssp_2017 to be directed to the proper download version (platform compatibility: Android v4x and iOS v7x+).
The app provides access to the full program schedule; maps and floor plans for the hotel; attendee list; meeting information including accessibility information; restaurant guide; comfort zone and gender-neutral restroom locations.
It has all the important information you'll need for the conference! Please contact IT Specialist Rachel Cogburn at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions regarding the app.
08/04/2017, 01:23 PM
August 03, 2017
Annual Meeting Events
The 67th SSSP Annual Meeting features several receptions and special events open to SSSP registrants. These include the Arrival Meet & Greet Reception, the Welcoming Reception, the Graduate Student Happy Hour, the New Member Breakfast, the Presidential Address of Dr. Donileen R. Loseke, the Drinking and Drugs Division Reception, the Awards Ceremony, and the Division-Sponsored Reception. Click here to view descriptions of these events and more!
08/03/2017, 08:41 AM
August 01, 2017
Montreal on a Budget
Alissa Mazar, Local Arrangements Committee member, put together a guide to Montreal with affordable and free offerings throughout. The Montreal Bonaventure Hotel is centrally located, making any of these suggestions easy to access by walking or using public transit.
08/01/2017, 10:33 AM
- Scholars at Risk Network Information Sharing “Drop-in” Sessions: February 16th - June 15th, 2023
- SSSP Membership Benefit: Policy Brief Writing Workshop
- Racial/Ethnic Minority Graduate Fellowship–Deadline 2/1/23
- Don’t forget to submit a paper for the SSSP 2023 Annual Meeting–Extended Deadline 1/31/23
- Submit a Paper for the SSSP 2023 Annual Meeting–Extended Deadline 1/31/23
- SSSP: Introducing the New Executive Officer
- Thank You, 2022 SSSP Contributors!
- Renew Your Membership for 2023
- New Virtual Issue: The Precarious State of Abortion in America
- Deadline Extended for the 2023 Call for Papers and the Student Paper Competitions – New Deadline–1/31/23
- The Federal Trade Commission wants to Ban Noncompete Employment Clauses
- Apply to be the next Editor of Social Problems – Deadline 1/15/23
- Questions You May Have About the SSSP Annual Meeting
- Your Donation is Tax Deductible
- Give the Gift of SSSP
- End of the Year Reminders
- Call for Books for the 2023 Annual Meeting – Author Meets Critics Sessions Deadline Quickly Approaching 12/15/22
- In Case You Missed it! "Lessons Learned in Navigating the Applied Workplace"
- C. Wright Mills Award Nomination Deadline is Quickly Approaching 12/15/22
- Webinar: Lessons Learned in Navigating the Applied Workplace (TODAY!)