Latest SSSP News
Archives - January 2014
January 23, 2014
January 16, 2014
2014 Call for Resolutions
The Call for Resolutions from the SSSP membership is now open!
SSSP resolutions constitute an important opportunity for our scholar-activist membership to publicly declare their sentiments, thereby creating a channel for greater visibility and more direct influence upon a variety of “publics,” i.e., fellow activists, scholars, students, decision-makers, social action groups, voters, and others.
Members who wish to propose resolutions for consideration of the SSSP, should submit them to the appropriate Division Chairperson(s) (see www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/464/The_Special%20_Problems_Divisions/) for current contact information) and directly to the SSSP Vice-President at email@example.com by July 1, 2014.
Click here for more information!
01/16/2014, 03:27 PM
January 15, 2014
Announcements and Reminders
We have a few announcements and reminders to bring to your attention.
- We are extremely pleased to announce that the Board of Directors has selected Dr. Pamela Anne Quiroz and Dr. Nilda M. Flores-Gonzalez of the University of Illinois-Chicago as the 2014-2017 Editors of Social Problems. We are as excited to have Pam and Nilda as our new editors, as they are to take on this critical responsibility for the SSSP. As we welcome them, we want to thank our current editor, Dr. Becky Pettit, and the Social Problems editorial staff for their hard work over the past three years. In addition to selecting Pam and Nilda as our new editors, the Board also selected Oxford University Press as the Society’s new publisher from January 1, 2015-December 31, 2019. As one of the oldest and most respected publishers in the world, OUP is especially well positioned to give the journal the increased international exposure that the Society has desired for some time. As we begin our new relationship with OUP, we want to thank the University of California Press for serving as our publisher and to wish them well. This is an exciting time for the Society and Social Problems, and as always, we are open to your ideas for ways to improve our superb journal.
- Submit a paper for the 2014 Annual Meeting. The deadline is midnight (EST) on January 31, 2014.
- Apply for one of the SSSP Division’s Student Paper Competitions or Outstanding Scholarship Awards. The deadline for all Student Paper Competitions is January 31, 2014. In order to be considered for any of the Student Paper Competitions, applicants are required to submit their papers through the Annual Meeting Call for Papers, http://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/565/. This will ensure that winning papers are both designated and included in the program. The deadline for the Outstanding Scholarship Awards varies across divisions.
- The Racial/Ethnic Minority Graduate Scholarship deadline is February 1, 2014.
- Applications for the Beth B. Hess Memorial Scholarship are being accepted until April 1, 2014.
- Nominations and applications are also open for the Joseph B. Gittler Award, the Lee Founders Award, the Thomas C. Hood Social Action Award, and the Travel Fund Awards.
- The 2014 General Election ballot preview is available. Online voting will take place from February 15-March 15, 2014.
- Remember to renew your membership for 2014, if you have not already.
- Recruit a member! View membership benefits and our graduate student membership benefits.
SSSP Administrative Office
01/15/2014, 02:53 PM
- Jan 2019
- Feb 2019
- Mar 2019
- Apr 2019
- May 2019
- Jun 2019
- Jul 2019
- Aug 2019
- Sep 2019
- Oct 2019
- Nov 2019
- Dec 2019
- 2019 C. Wright Mills Award Nomination Deadline is Approaching Fast – 12/15/19
- Human Rights Day
- Registration for the 2020 Annual Meeting is now open!
- End of the Year Reminders
- Strengthen this important organization as we work toward social justice
- SSSP: Editorial Search forSocial Problems – Call for Applications
- Student Paper Competitions and Outstanding Scholarship Awards
- Call for Papers: Engage in theory and practice with folks from across the country and around the world
- General Election Ballot Preview
- The Benefits of SSSP Membership
- In Pursuit of Social Justice
- Child Care Crisis in America
- Your Donation is Tax Deductible
- SSSP Members News
- Job Opportunities
- November issue of Social Problems is now available
- 2019 Annual Meeting Thank you!
- The SSSP Call for Papers for the 2020 Annual Meeting is now live!
- SSSP Membership Survey (deadline 10/15/19)
- SSSP Membership Survey (deadline 10/15/19)