Latest SSSP News
Archives - September 2018
September 27, 2018
Share Your Accomplishments
Have you received a promotion or an award? Published an article or book? Please share your recent accomplishments with us:
09/27/2018, 08:10 AM
September 25, 2018
Nominations for the 2018 C. Wright Mills Award
Nominations are now open for the 2018 C. Wright Mills Award. Members of the Society are encouraged to submit letters of nomination for this prestigious annual award. Self-nominations are acceptable. Edited volumes, textbooks, fiction and self-published works are not eligible. Eligible books must be first edition (not a reprint or later edition) and bear a 2018 copyright. Exceptions may be made for a book bearing a 2017 copyright, but that was not released until 2018 for the first time. The C. Wright Mills Award, established in 1964, is made annually and carries with it a stipend of $1,000 for the author(s) of the winning book. The deadline for the 2018 award nominations is December 15, 2018. https://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/m/259/C_Wright_Mills_Award/
09/25/2018, 09:06 AM
September 20, 2018
SSSP’s Pursuit of Social Justice
As an interdisciplinary community of scholars, practitioners, advocates, and students interested in the application of critical, scientific, and humanistic perspectives to the study of vital social problems, the SSSP is engaged in multiple avenues of social justice research and action. In addition to , the Society regularly participates in calls to action on various social justice issues. Click here for more information on these activities:
09/20/2018, 09:20 AM
September 18, 2018
SSSP Member Testimonials
Read what our members say about SSSP at . The SSSP provides several benefits to its members. for details about SSSP membership! The SSSP is committed to the professional development of graduate students. for Graduate Student benefits! Join or renew today at .
09/18/2018, 10:11 AM
September 13, 2018
2018 Application for the SSSP Division of Labor Studies “Singing Lecture” Grant Award
The SSSP and the SSSP Labor Studies Division are offering four $500 grants to cover the stipend for Dr. Corey Dolgon to attend your university and perform his singing lecture “In Search of One Big Union: The Role of Folksongs in the U.S. Labor Movement.” An online application form can be found here: https://www.sssp1.org/index.cfm/pageid/2135.
Application Deadline is September 30, 2018.
Click here to learn more about Dr. Corey Dolgon’s singing lecture.
09/13/2018, 09:28 AM
September 11, 2018
SSSP provides a FREE career center for members and non-members to browse current jobs related to sociology. There are several positions available at this time. We also allow employers to POST JOBS for FREE! To find or post your next job opportunity, visit:
09/11/2018, 08:15 AM
September 06, 2018
SSSP Departmental Membership Opportunity
We encourage your department to become a Departmental Member of the Society for the Study of Social Problems. Departments who choose to do this receive the journal Social Problems and share one vote in business matters of the Society. We hope your department will consider becoming a SSSP Departmental Member for $94 today. To join, click here:
09/06/2018, 09:16 AM
September 04, 2018
Upcoming Conferences and Calls for Submissions/Posting Opportunities
Several upcoming conferences, calls for submissions, and fellowship opportunities have been posted to the SSSP website. Don’t miss out! Check out our page and the page to learn more about these opportunities.
Interested in submitting an announcement? There is no charge to place an announcement on our website. If you wish to have a call for papers, book chapter, article submission, conference announcement, or a fellowship or scholarship announcement posted, please send an email to (Microsoft Word files and PDFs preferred). Please include a URL for more information, if available.
09/04/2018, 11:00 AM
- Scholars at Risk Network Information Sharing “Drop-in” Sessions: February 16th - June 15th, 2023
- SSSP Membership Benefit: Policy Brief Writing Workshop
- Racial/Ethnic Minority Graduate Fellowship–Deadline 2/1/23
- Don’t forget to submit a paper for the SSSP 2023 Annual Meeting–Extended Deadline 1/31/23
- Submit a Paper for the SSSP 2023 Annual Meeting–Extended Deadline 1/31/23
- SSSP: Introducing the New Executive Officer
- Thank You, 2022 SSSP Contributors!
- Renew Your Membership for 2023
- New Virtual Issue: The Precarious State of Abortion in America
- Deadline Extended for the 2023 Call for Papers and the Student Paper Competitions – New Deadline–1/31/23
- The Federal Trade Commission wants to Ban Noncompete Employment Clauses
- Apply to be the next Editor of Social Problems – Deadline 1/15/23
- Questions You May Have About the SSSP Annual Meeting
- Your Donation is Tax Deductible
- Give the Gift of SSSP
- End of the Year Reminders
- Call for Books for the 2023 Annual Meeting – Author Meets Critics Sessions Deadline Quickly Approaching 12/15/22
- In Case You Missed it! "Lessons Learned in Navigating the Applied Workplace"
- C. Wright Mills Award Nomination Deadline is Quickly Approaching 12/15/22
- Webinar: Lessons Learned in Navigating the Applied Workplace (TODAY!)